Thursday, August 22, 2013

First Trimester Part 2

Pregnancy: Week 14, day 1 (July 1, 2013)

Last Friday, we met with Dr. Harrison for our first appointment. She came highly recommended by my friend Jackie and I must say, she is awesome. Dr. Harrison searched for the heartbeat, but was having a hard time finding it. Trent and I were a little nervous.

What if there is no heartbeat? What if we aren't really pregnant? 

Then we heard a strange wooshing sound and saw her knowing smile. She went to the hallway and grabbed an older, low-tech ultrasound machine and we actually got to have a look-see! We weren't expecting to see the baby for another couple of weeks, but she was curious to get more information. The baby was much higher than she was expecting. The baby was wiggling and jumping around. It was so strange to think the little ghostly-white jelly bean was inside my stomach!




We had our second ultra sound this morning. Dr. Harrison ordered a "formal" ultrasound be done with a tech to make sure 1) I wasn't further along and 2) that there wasn't another baby (twins) inside! Well, there was only one baby to be found (thankfullly!!) and we actually found out the gender at this stage.




Needless to say, I was totally shocked. Trent was beyond excited. He was giggling and absolutely ecstatic. I really thought that we were having a girl. I was almost sure of it. Poor Trent; I tried so hard to be excited about this shocking news, but it just wouldn't come. I think I almost cried a few times. What am I going to do with a little boy? I don't know anything about boys! 

In truth, it probably took me a whole month to come to terms with having a little boy. For some reason, I just couldn't wrap my mind around it!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! Just so you know, they could be wrong on the gender! I know a few situations that they thought it was a certain gender and then turn out opposite! But either way, I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! We've actually had two ultrasounds since then for various reasons and every time it's been quite apparent he's a boy. I can't believe that they get it wrong sometimes, though!! It's just crazy! I hope this isn't one of those situations... haha.

      Delete
  2. Oh Ashley! I had the exact same experience when we found out what we were having this time around! I was SO sure it was going to be a girl, like for the last two years kind of sure and I totally cried when I found out it was a boy! haha, stupid pregnancy hormones. Thankfully now I seriously am insanely excited, even more than I think I would have been for a girl :) congrats! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mese!! I'm so glad you are having a little boy, too! I always told myself I wouldn't get my mind set on what gender the baby "should" or "would" be, and yet I totally did. Yes, pregnancy hormones are totally silly.

      Delete